Sometimes in life we make sacrifices to get onto a better path.
My recent sacrifice was going from a full-time to a part-time job to support my growing business. I am pleased with my decision but it has meant some changes. I sacrificed a comfortable job and salary with the security of an employer and decided to be brave and give it a go by myself.
But it can be scary and lonely at times so I found it useful to write down things that I was grateful for, in an effort to put things in perspective and not get so hung up on the paycheck.
- I can’t do things at the drop of a hat on a part-time salary, but I get to spend two days a week doing what I love.
- I can’t get a decent mortgage, but I can spend more time doing things my way around the house and garden.
- I may not be able to save in the same way, but I can invest into my business and work on growing it.
- I may not be in a big office anymore, but I have made far more meaningful connections through networking groups and events.
- I don’t have a manager telling me what needs to be done 5 days a week, leaving me free to be creative and agile in my business.
- I get to be my own boss and get the title of ‘Director’!
- I can take long walks in the middle of the day and there’s no one to say what time I need to be back.
- I can invest more time in relationships with family and friends.
- I can inspire others to follow their own dreams and escape the corporate hamster wheel, because I have done it myself.
- Most of all, I can look back and know that I did something because I believed I could. No matter what happens, I can be happy with my decision to be brave and branch out.
Yes going it alone, albeit with the safety net of a part-time job, is scary, but wouldn’t you rather give it a go than live your life wondering what if?
There are many things in life that I’m not sure of – whether to have kids, whether I’ll ever move house, whether I’ll get a dog – but my career has never been in question. I have always wanted to start my own business and now I can say I have done it!